Wednesday, September 07, 2005

flunking the turing test

After the dark and serious tone of my last post, I decided a quick dose of humour was warranted. Check out “How I Failed the Turing Test” for a look at one man’s frustration at proving he is human to other humans via instant messaging.

Favourite snippet:

What really killed me was that the more I tried proving my “actual” intelligence, the more my “artificial” intelligence would get called into question. Take this pivotal conversation:

jmstriegel: no, really. I’m quite human.
jmstriegel: test me if you want
shymuffin32: ok
shymuffin32: why do you like music?
jmstriegel: hmm. i’ve never really considered that.
jmstriegel: hell, i’m not going to be able to contrive a good answer for that one. ask me something else.
shymuffin32: jeesus, you’re worse than eliza

And there you have it. I’ve been intellectually humbled by a 1960s robotic psychologist.

How I Failed the Turing Test [Jason Striegel]

No comments:

Post a Comment